Thursday, May 17, 2012

Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, Oliver.

Oliver's eyes have haunted me for months. He looks like he could be one of my own children. I love him. 

Sweet Oliver, age 5


On February 29, 2012, he had exactly $13.00 in his account. No one knew him. No one cared, it seemed. He drew me in and I loved him. I convinced my dear husband to begin Lent with some almsgiving. I asked him for a big amount (sacrificial, even) to offer as a matching grant so that our friends and family members -- anyone, really -- could be moved to throw some money in his account, knowing it would be doubled by us. We didn't usually do stuff like this. I sent out mass emails with a heartfelt appeal, and people responded (I'll never know who, as they deposited their donations directly to Oliver's account via PayPal). I appealed through my facebook as well. 

By Easter, with the addition of our matching grant, his fund had grown to $3,427.30*. I rejoiced when Oliver was moved to the Moving Mountains page, and now receives more exposure. Today his fund stands at $3,500.80 and he has a Guardian Angel.

I am still haunted by his eyes, and I still am praying like mad that this boy finds a home. That someone will pick him up from that damned crib, put him in a wheelchair and take him outside. I pray that someone will hug him and kiss his sweet face and tell him that he is dearly loved. 



Will you pray with me, for Oliver? And spread the word? I won't rest until I see him home in his mama's arms. 




*My only blog at that time was Little Catholic Bubble, which has a good readership; however, I did not put my appeal for Oliver on the blog, so all the funds raised came simply from our email and facebook appeals! My husband and I plan to do a similar almsgiving campaign every year, for the orphans. I hope you'll follow by advocating for your own orphan on RR in this same way. It's easy and fruitful.





.



2 comments:

  1. Yes, I'll definitely pray for him with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. o.m.gosh. Leila, he does look like he could be your baby......Praying!

    ReplyDelete