Thursday, June 7, 2012

He could be my son

About a week ago, we shaved our son's head. I'd never seen him with hair that short, and when I looked at the finished result, I gasped and my heart felt heavy. It's a weird reaction to a haircut, unless one has been looking at orphans' photos for months. You see, suddenly he looked exactly like the older boy orphans on Reece's Rainbow. In particular, he reminded me of Parker:


Parker is seven years old

With the slight build, dark skin, and dark eyes, Parker and my son could easily pass for brothers. I know, from real life experience, how handsome Parker would be with longer hair and a big smile. I can see it. And I know that he's just like every other little boy. Or, he should  be just like every other little boy.

My heart breaks for Parker. There, but for the grace of God, goes my own son.

Please, will you spread the word about Parker? He has only moderate delays and will surely thrive in a family! He only has $26 in his account, and I fear he is all but forgotten. Please, don't forget about Parker. His family is out there somewhere, I just know it.


In case you were wondering, this is my own son:


Now you know why Parker affects me so much.

Please, let's find his family.

See the "recommend" button just below? Could you click it? If you do, Parker is that much closer to finding a home and a family.

God bless you!




.

12 comments:

  1. So, so powerful. This post will move mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with biglittle days. sigh. My own son's head was recently shaved as well and I thought the same thing for weeks. When he was a little dirty from playing outside with a scrape on his face, it literally disturbed me. I truly know how you feel. By the way, I had strabismus (lazy eye). I see it listed with all the other things and it looks like one more diagnosis and I think how little of a deal it is and most likely fixed and I hope it doesn't turn people away. You should have seen some of my earlier photos. Guarentee I would have been passed over. Not the most photogenic kid, super skinny-my knees and glasses were the biggest thing about me. Oh, these kids! To be summed up by a picture and a few words...and their life depends on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. biglittledays, I pray you are right.

    And WR, my husband and my daughter both had strabismus. It pains me, too. I am glad you have had the jarring experience of seeing your own child look just like he could be one of the orphans in the institution. I never realized before how close to home it hits. The haricuts seem to dehumanize those orphans. If they could be seen with hair, and the girls with flowing locks, how many more might see them as worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean "I'm glad" because I feel less alone in it! That didn't sound right… sorry!

      Delete
  4. We have strabismus in our family too. It amazes me to see it listed as a "special need"... okay yes, some surgery is required, but it really hits home how so much of these kids' lives depend on this brief profiles that list "flaws" and could never fully capture them as the wonderful people they are. Gosh, after years of online dating (haha), you come to really understand how an unflattering photo or description can affect things in far more trivial matters than finding parents. Praying for these kids... darn it, Leila, you got me thinking about adoption all over again. I had shelved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I can't say I'm sorry to hear about that last part, ha ha! :) Look at what happened to Meg, tee hee. And, I totally agree with what you wrote.

      Delete
    2. Leila - Haha, true, but Hubby has to be comfortable/on board. :) So if God wants us to adopt, He'll have to send Dh that memo I guess. In the meantime, I'll pray and donate when I can!

      Delete
  5. He really could be your son! Crazy! Where is your son mowing lawns? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In someone else's back yard, ha ha! Mine is rocks and turf!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post - I hop his Mama finds him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Leila, do you know anything about "harmony?"

    http://the-scenic-route-momto6kids.blogspot.ca/2012/03/harmony.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chantal, no I am sorry I don't know anything more. :(

      Delete